Reinsurance and Insurance
Ms. Morehead has represented and counseled insurance and reinsurance companies, brokers, agents and other clients in the insurance and reinsurance industry in negotiations, mediations, arbitrations and litigations in matters involving virtually every procedural and substantive issue that relates to the reinsurance relationship and the servicing of that relationship. Her practice has included cases involving workers' compensation carve-out covers, life insurance settlements, finite reinsurance, novations and commutations, fronting arrangements, agency and brokerage disputes, captive insurance and reinsurance arrangements, reinsurance allocations, set-off, extracontractual obligations, follow-the-fortunes and follow-the-settlements, IBNR recoverability, late notice, recovery of declaratory judgment expenses, direct and reinsurance pooling arrangements, and security requirements applicable to alien companies.
In addition to the reinsurance work, Ms. Morehead has extensive regulatory experience with the New York and California Insurance Departments, and has handled direct insurance defense cases, coverage disputes, disputes between insurance companies and their agents, and insurance disputes between cedants and reinsurance companies.
Ms. Morehead has represented insurers in coverage and bad faith matters and provides opinions and advice involving:
- Insurance coverage and litigation in all lines, including general liability, professional liability, homeowners, multi-peril business, and customized (“manuscript") policies;
- Insurance coverage for employment practices including wrongful termination, sexual harassment, employment discrimination, employment contract claims and age discrimination claims;
- Rights and obligations of parties under directors and officers liability policies;
- Interpretation of errors and omissions policies;
- Insurance insolvency issues involving liquidation of insurance and reinsurance companies;
- Reinsurance issues;
- New York and California Department of Insurance proceedings;
- Monitoring of independent counsel selected by insureds; and
- Policy drafting.